Cheerleading Jump Practice Tips You Should Know!
“The way your practice is the way you perform!”
If you practice with a big smile, sharp motions and confidence, you WILL perform it that way. If you practice with sloppy arms or just “walk through” your routine and do not practice full out, you will have a more difficult time during your performance!
Are How are you doing with your cheerleading jumps? Are they at the level that you would like or are they progressing as quickly as you want? If you want to escalate your progress, here are several ways that you can get on the path to amazing jumps at home as well as at team practice:
- Practice in front of a mirror: This way you can see what your jumps look like.
- Practice smiling: By doing your facials (facial expressions) in front of a mirror you will automatically smile during your jump execution.
- Practice on the ground: As you will see in this book, there are several jumps that you can practice while sitting on the ground including the Tuck Jump and the Toe Touch. This technique will allow you to feel what it should be like in the air.
- Practice on various surfaces: When you practice on a variety of floors including spring floors, grass and on mats, you be able to perform anywhere and you will build strength in your legs ( jumping on a spring / competition floor is much easier than jumping on grass ).
- Do multiple jumps in a row: Jump sequences will help build up endurance and strength in your legs; remember to stop when your form is not correct. Start with 2 jumps and then work your way up to 5 – yes this will take awhile!
- Practice your jumps with a Spotter: Have a spotter hold your waist from behind while you execute your jump. Have them give you an extra little lift at the top of your jump so you can have an extra second to execute the jump.
Tips to Remember:
If one leg is higher than the other in your jump, that means that one leg is probably stronger than the other and it is completely NORMAL. It is also COMPLETELY NORMAL that your jumps will always be better on one side. Don’t worry, to solve his problem, do various exercises to strengthen your legs.